I had to hop into Ft. Simpson for a couple of workshops led by Linda Todd, fr. the AEA Yk office on Tuesday & Wednesday for the NWT Housing Corporation staff and group of their Housing program clients.
The Tuesday afternoon session was a "Burn it Smart - train the trainer" session to provide a few NWT Housing Corp. Dehcho staff with the information & resources to share with residents who either rent or who have recently purchased Housing Corp. homes. The Wednesday evening workshop was an information session attended by 8 community members who rent/own Housing Corp. houses.
Linda shared heaps of important information with all of us & I have included a few web links, videos, & lists below to highlight some of the key points that we learned ...
Here's a link to a video that we watched, it shows the difference between a conventional wood stove & an advance, EPA/CSA efficient wood stove ...
Environment Canada also produced a video for the Burn it Smart program to share many helpful tips on selecting, handling, and storing your firewood ... you can see the video below ...
- Wood Heat Energy Organization (heaps of helpful wood heating resources) at: http://www.woodheat.org/
- CMHC Guide to Residential Wood Heating: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/enefcosa/upload/wood_heating_EN_W.pdf
- CMHC's "Efficient Wood Heating" tipsheet: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/enefcosa/enefcosa_001.cfm
- AEA's Heating & Cooling Tips: http://aea.nt.ca/saving-energy/heating-and-cooling#pellet_stoves
- Yukon Energy Solutions (very interesting & historical wood heating information) handout titled: Lure & Lore of Wood
- other Wood Heating information links: http://www.wettinc.ca/bisrc.html